Sunday, August 7, 2011

Top Ten Best Club Kits Of 2011-2012

With the worst kits out of the way, it time to open the season with a look at the best kits of the season. I wasn't really blown away by anything, aside from the Russian Premier League and the J-League landing two on the list, but it was a pleasant to cut this down from twelve instead of working with seven or eight.

SUNDERLAND (Home & Away)

This is amazing to me, Sunderland managed to keep their home kit looking nice AND come up with a decent away kit. They kept the stripes, simple black collar and cuffs, and the away is so clean and simple I couldn't help liking it. I actually wanted to add Rangers' new away kit since its essentially the same design as Sunderland's. The only gripe I have is the construction and how the stripes meet at the back, this doesn't look right at all, I'm sure the stripes could have been aligned.

ZENIT ST. PETERSBURG (Home)

I know, its got a pattern, but its subtle and simple enough that it doesn't bother me. I almost wish that the sleeves were also patterned, but I've seen a number of pictures of this kit in action and the pattern doesn't stand out as much as you would think.

EVERTON (Home & Away)

Not much to say here, but right up my alley. Simple, clean, and the only thing I would add is a collar to the away similar to the home.

INTER MILAN (Home)

Tried an true, the stripes of Inter Milan come through again. Had a great kit last year, still do, and I love their name/number font. This was almost Manchester City's new away, but in the end the odd orientation of the shoulder striping made me change my mind. Now if only Inter would sell Sneijder to a certain team in Manchester, I'd be even happier.

OLYMPIQUE LYON (Home)

Another nice kit from Lyon, they have been doing some really great work with that blue and red stripe for years now. I also enjoy the very subtle image of their lion crest in the stripe, really hard not to like this one. Only improvement would be the centered Adidas logo, why Adidas? WHY?!

MAINZ (Home)

Arsenal manage to continue their streak of great jerseys, oh, I meant Mainz. This is basically Arsenal's kit aside from the thick red cuffs, but that doesn't mean it isn't a great look. I love the solid body and white sleeves, lets just hope Mainz doesn't have jockey uniforms next year.

Arsenal look good this year.

BOHEMIAN FC (Away)

Girondins de Bordeaux, I hope you are reading this, because this is how to use a V design. Simple and clean, nicely placed striping, why is this so hard?

NAGOYA GRAMPUS (Home & Away)

I was going to spend most of this paragraph wondering what a "Grampus" is, but I don't think anyone wants to read it. Another good example of well designed V striping, I even like how the sponsor logo fits in. I'm sure Chevron is crossing their fingers that Lyon uses this design next year.

URAWA RED DIAMONDS (Home & Away)

I love collars, I really wish more teams would use them again. This is another example of how patterns can look great without being overwhelming. Simple designs done well, hard to believe these were made by the same company that created the Oregon Ducks 2008 uniforms.


SPARTAK MOSCOW (Home & Away)

These are awesome, and possibly my favorites for the year. I love the centered location of the team crest, the reversal of the colors between home and away, and how the sponsor's logo almost feels integrated into the design. I was really pleased with these since most of the Russian Premier League kits (Part 1 & Part 2) either look like shit or a plain shirt with a sponsor ironed on the front.


No comments:

Post a Comment